Friday, February 11, 2011

Unmitigated Disaster!

With my blog created and my first post put up, I was excited to move ahead. I started scouring websites for potential recipes, purchased ingredients, etc. 
On Wednesday, I decided to bake a cake for a friend’s birthday. I, however, wanted to do away with the usual chocolate and cream combination and try something new and unique. Since many seasonal fruits are now available, I decided to use strawberries or pears to make something. Having recently found out that pears and ginger make for an interesting combination, I decided to try it out. I used the recipe by The Purple Foodie and adapted it to suit my needs.
And while I’m sure the cake itself tastes great, mine was a big flop. It was a gloopy mess of flour and pears. It didn’t cook through well enough, there was no taste of ginger whatsoever. I think the main culprits were the change in measurements, an egg that looked suspicious and the use of ground ginger instead of fresh ones. 
My friends very gamely tried it out and made encouraging noises of ‘Well tried’ ‘Something new’ etc. I however, will have to try it out again. Hopefully the next post on Pear and Ginger cake will be soon and a resounding success. 
In other news, I also made Strawberry Butter and Ginger and Honey Roasted Almonds; both of which were politely sidelined by my family.
All in all, a terrible culinary week.

(P.S: I plan to make Chocolate Chip cookies today. I seriously hope they are radically different from the earlier few experiments)

No comments:

Post a Comment